Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Mekons - "Never Been in a Riot" b/w "32 Weeks"/"Heart and Soul": 7 (B+)


If this were an EP, instead of a single, I would buy it for historical importance. Or if it weren't selling for around $50 used in merely good condition. I would also print it out if the first thing were true. 3 songs at 6 minutes is lesser than 4 songs at 10 minutes (eg, Spiral Scratch, which I did print). I also looked into purchasing this on the various artists compilation Fast Product - The First Year Plan, which has both the Mekons' first two singles on Fast, but it was way too expensive, plus the non-Mekons songs (other than the Gang of Four) are mediocre at best. An album called Mutant Pop 78/79 has everything other than the second Mekons single, but it's also way too expensive. On that note, I'd give the Mekons' second Fast single ("Where Were You" b/w "I'll Have To Dance Then (On My Own)") a 7 (B+) also.

There appears to be a third single, ostensibly on Fast too, "Work All Week" b/w "Unknown Wrecks." I will evaluate that as part of the Quality of Mercy album, which appends both sides of that single as well as all four tracks from the Teeth EP, which was on Virgin. Because the third single is not really on Fast, the EP is on Virgin, and all these tracks are on the Quality of Mercy album, I think what I will do is create a CD single of the first two Fast singles only (five songs).

No comments:

Post a Comment