Sunday, December 9, 2018

Gogol Bordello - Trans-Continental Hustle: 3.5 stars


I have a complicated reaction to this one. First of all, I don't really trust my reactions to this band, because I admire and respect them way more than I ever want to listen to them, which is pretty much never. They are very good live, but I had almost the same reaction. Long story short, while I like this as much as any of their work, and might even see this as an A minus, people who love them much more than I do (Pitchfork, Christgau, Rolling Stone) had a lukewarm reaction to this (although Tom Hull seems to think of it like I do), so I'm going to skip it. I will note that it is strangely out-of-print since it's only 8 years old, and I would still buy it if I could find it for $9 new like some of their other releases. But as it is I'm going to let their other albums that I do own stand in for this one, which, again, I would probably never voluntarily pull off the shelf if I did own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment