Saturday, March 9, 2024

Various Artists - Go Go Crankin': 8 (A-)


Never been a huge fan of go-go. In fact, this is all I have. I have this on vinyl. There is a CDr with remastered tracks available as an official CDr (pictured above), which I will think about purchasing. I don't think I've ever knowingly purchased a legit "CDr" (meaning one that is not bootleg), so that might be interesting. Either way, I'll keep the vinyl. Christgau gave this what I would call an 8.5 (high A-), and I've lived in DC for almost two decades now, so I feel obligated. Finally, I believe it's considered the definitive go-go comp. Well, there is a various artists comp called The Beat: Go-Go's Fusion of Funk and Hip Hop, but it's ridiculously expensive used and not streaming anywhere.

Definitive albums seem to be Livin' Large by E.U., Bustin' Loose by Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers, and Drop the Bomb by Trouble Funk. All these artists are represented here, presumably by their best tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment