Saturday, March 30, 2024

Tabu Ley Rochereau - Kaful Mayay (Maze I Love You): 7.5 (high B+)


Songs are listed on "cover." This is one of those seemingly streamable-only Tamasha releases, with no entry I could find on Discogs. The outstanding lead track "Maze" is on the comp African Pearls - Congo 70: Rumba Rock. The latter is not to be confused with the comp African Pearls 1 - Congo: Rumba on the River. I have both. The other outstanding track is the final (two) "Kaful Mayay," which is on the first The Voice of Lightness comp, which I obviously also have. As for the other tracks: The other three of the first four tracks are on this album (with the track "Mr. Malonga" also being on The Voice of Lightness Vol. 2, which I have, as "Monsieur Malonga"):


Obviously, I'm not going to buy the above for the high prices it goes for, especially when I already have the two best tracks out of four. The only other track I have not discussed is "Fololo," which is from the Belgian-only vinyl release from 1981 called Tanga Tanga. The title track was apparently a single-only release, and I reproduce the cover here only because it is so cool:


And I wouldn't buy the release that is the subject of this post, even if it were available other than streaming, when I already have the majority of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment