Sunday, March 31, 2024

The Shirelles - Anthology 1959-1964: 7.5 (high B+)


This post is for the 16-track CD version from Rhino issued in 1986. The LP version with the same name and cover, from the same label, issued in 1984, had 28 tracks. No doubt all, if not almost all, of those extra tracks could have fit on the CD, but for some reason Rhino did not include them on the CD.

Call me a cad, but girl groups just don't do it for me. I looked into the 16-track The Very Best of the Shirelles CD issued by Rhino in 1994, beloved of Christgau and Hull, on the theory that it might have better sound, which might enable me to get into it easier. It has the same number of tracks, but swaps two songs as set forth below. In any event, it is not available at a good price, and since it has almost the same tracks, I skipped it. Just to be thorough, I also played the 1999 on Varese Sarabande called 25 All-Time Greatest Hits once.

Anthology - "Sha La La" and "Maybe Tonight"
Very Best - "I Met Him On A Sunday (Ronde-Ronde)" and "Welcome Home Baby"

[De-shelved in 2022]

No comments:

Post a Comment