Friday, September 7, 2018

Etoile de Dakar - Volume 1: Absa Gueye: 4 stars


This 1993 CD compilation (which I think I once owned and sold back in a moment of stupidity) adds two tracks to the original release Absa Gueye from 1979 or 1980. Those two tracks are "Thiely" and "El Hombre Misterioso Soy." The original release had a cover like this:


I have a downloaded file of this, which is a Muzikifan Africa Top 50 entry. Used copies cost a fortune, even for the Popular African Music re-releases. I would buy a vinyl copy if it popped up for a reasonable price. I determined not to buy the 1993 CD re-release/compilation above, given that the re-release also sells for a small fortune. I have the track Thiely elsewhere, and so only am missing El Hombre Misterioso Soy from the 1993 CD. Also, only three of the eight tracks here ("N'guiro Na," "Baye Wali," and "Tu Veras" are not on the comps. For that reason, I will not put on shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment