Friday, October 21, 2022

Old 97's - batch review

This band seems mostly beloved by Christgau and Hull. Pitchfork and Allmusic users don't seem too crazy about them. Very few reviews on AOTY. I never really got into their work, but ended up buying alot of the albums based on Christgau's rave reviews, before the streaming era when I couldn't listen to them first, and then hung onto them because I didn't dislike them. They all sound good when being played, but then don't sound familiar the next time. Here are the key albums graded by Christgau and Hull:

Wreck Your Life [Bloodshot, 1995] B+/B+
Too Far to Care [Elektra, 1997] B+/B
Fight Songs [Elektra, 1999] A/A-
Satellite Rides [Elektra, 2001] A/A-
Blame It on Gravity [New West, 2008] A-/A-
The Grand Theatre Volume One [New West, 2010] A-/B+
Most Messed Up [ATO, 2014] A/A-

I've listened to them all at least 3 times, and have them all except Wreck Your Life. I would rate all of them either honorable mention or 7 (B+), except Most Messed Up would be 7.5 (high B+) or even 8 (A-). Wreck Your Life is probably a neutral for me. Normally, I would not get Too Far To Care, but I have it, and it's the Allmusic site and user's favorite so I'll keep it. It's also on a lot of "alt-country" lists.

ps, also listened to Mimeograph [EP] three times. Either honorable mention or 7 (B+), but not getting it either way because it's covers album. # [covers]

No comments:

Post a Comment