Friday, April 30, 2021

Grace Jones - Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions: 8.5 (high A-)

What you get here is not a greatest hits, but rather, 80% of her Compass Point trilogy, plus some other things. You get all this in a single case, for $10. No-brainer, although you don't get the original formations. Here are the songs you don't get (out of 24):

A Rolling Stone (Warm Leatherette)
Bullshit (Warm Leatherette)
Art Groupie (Nightclubbing)
Everybody Hold Still (Living My Life)
Inspiration (Living My Life)

Listened to the last two 3x, because I will not be separately grading that album. All 5 of these are clearly leave-off-able. And the only additional song from the regular greatest hits currently available that I wouldn't have would be La Vie en Rose, which is a good song, but I can do without it in physical - kind of an outlier. And here's what additionally I wouldn't have from Island Life:

I Need a Man (mediocre)
Do or Die (a little better, but not a must have)

Bottom line: I'm not shelving this as a best-of per se, but as a slim collection of almost all of her three best works.

No comments:

Post a Comment