Sunday, February 25, 2024

The Quintet [Charlie Parker] - Jazz at Massey Hall: X stars


I bought this in its original CD release when there was a remaster available, which bummed me out when I realized it, and I've toyed with rebuying it, but I can't bring myself to do so because I frankly just don't like this like I'm supposed to. (Although I do note Tom Hull, premier jazz critic, assigns this a B+ at best.) I toyed with buying the 2-CD Hot House version, released in 2023, because the new remastered sound is supposed to be outstanding, but they put the Bud Powell Trio tracks on the first disc, instead of keeping the original release on the first disc and sticking those with the overdubs on the second. A fatal flaw in my book, and it saves me 25 bucks and a bunch of tracks I don't want or need. [And... I went for it anyway in July 2024.]

No comments:

Post a Comment