Saturday, June 3, 2023

Jon Langford - batch review

I shelved all the following albums long before starting this blog, which means that I considered them 7 (B+) or higher. I feel very confident that I didn't consider any of them higher than 8 (A-), especially since I think Here Be Monsters (credited to Jon Langford & Skull Orchard) is his best "solo" work, and I gave that an 8.5 (high A-). So, I consider these all either 7 (B+) or 7.5 (high B+) or 8 (A-). I'm not going to take the time to grade them individually, but if I ever give any of these another listen in the future, I will specify the grade in a separate entry and pull them off this list.

Jon Langford - Skull Orchard
Jon Langford - All the Fame of Lofty Deeds
Jon Langford and His Sadies - Mayors of the Moon
The Pine Valley Cosmonauts - The Executioner's Last Songs
Waco Brothers - Cowboy in Flames
Waco Brothers - Wacoworld
Waco Brothers - Electric Waco Chair

I would also note that I might give the following Waco Brothers albums three listens at some point, as they each received an A- from Hull, even though Christgau, whose ears I trust more with Langford, didn't like them at the B+ or above level. I also note that Hull will make snap judgments after only one listen, so I don't value the grade nearly as much.

To the Last Dead Cowboy [Hull changed to B+ in Rolling Stone album guide]
New Deal [Hull changed to B+ in Rolling Stone album guide]
Freedom and Weep
Resist! [compilation of previously released songs; vinyl only]

Hull also graded at A- the The Pine Valley Cosmonauts' Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills. I put this lower on the listen list, because I don't consider PVC so much of a Langford project. In that vein, and, as a final note, Hull also graded A- the album PVC did with Roger Knox (on which Langford presumably plays and sings, but in the truly self-effacing way that this is not a "Langford" album like all the others). It was called Stranger in My Land. If I really have the time one day, I'll play that.

No comments:

Post a Comment