Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Band: Both Ways: 8 (A-)

I found it hard to believe that this was as good as Christgau, who gave it what I would call a 9.5 (high A), thinks. He's personal friends with both of them, which no doubt affects his judgement, at the very least docking it to a 9 (A) or even an 8.5 (high A-). Given that it was non-streamable (except for two not very impressive tracks), I would have had to pay $12 for digital tracks to even hear it. I don't pay for digital tracks ever (or hardly ever), but especially would not do so for something unheard. Even more so on the recommendation of only Christgau (see above). But ultimately I broke down and bought the digital tracks. If Hull gave it an A, I would pay to print it to CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment