Friday, June 18, 2021

The Fugs - batch review

I would give what appear to be their first two albums a "neutral" at best. Below are the covers, since they are confusingly-titled. The Fugs First Album was originally issued as an album by "The Village Fugs" and was entitled Sing Ballads of Contemporary Protest, Point of Views, and General Dissatisfaction. The Spin guide does not appear to know this and gave them different grades. The second album is simply entitled The Fugs, which is what most bands would normally entitle their first album, although I realize not everyone does. [Update 2024 - I ended up buying the first one, because of the Stampfel & Weber participation and it was available for a great price. I'm also upgrading it to 7 (B+), which would normally be # [folk], except for Stampfel & Weber and I feel like I should have something by them. Plus, Christgau gave and Hull both give it an A-, so, I give.]


No comments:

Post a Comment