Thursday, March 11, 2021

Muddy Waters - His Best, 1947 to 1955: X stars


This will end up being the only Muddy compilation I will retain. It contains all the tracks from The Best of Muddy Waters. I could supplement it with the 1956-1964 companion, or replace it with The Anthology, which amounts to the same thing, but the latter day singles just aren't as essential. I know it's sacrilegious to say this, but with the second set, or The Anthology, do I really need 2:30 of Muddy? I could also keep Trouble No More, but the only essential songs on that I would be missing are "Got My Mojo Working" and "Forty Days" ("Sugar Sweet" and "Trouble No More" are on this). Likewise, I will lose the 20th Century Masters compilation. The only songs that would give me are the ones I note for Trouble No More, with the rest overlapping with this. I'm also selling Real Folk Blues, which is not a 5 star album on Allmusic and Hull gives a B+. [Update, decided to keep Trouble No More, because it's a properly shorter disc of his later period (35 minutes vs. His Best's 60), I should have at least this small amount of that, Tom Hull gives it an A+ (his only one for Muddy), Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars, and Christgau put it in his 80s library.]

No comments:

Post a Comment