Friday, February 19, 2021

The Clash - Sandinista Then!: 9.5 (high A)

I like Sandinista in its entirety, but it's just so long I rarely put it on. It's too much of a time commitment. So I made this single album version. It bears alot of resemblance to Sandinista Now!, hence the name I chose for it. I burned this and put it on the shelf in a slim case. Here's the track list:

1. Police on My Back
2. The Call Up
3. Lose This Skin
4. Somebody Got Murdered
5. Something About England

6. The Magnificent Seven
7. One More Time
8. Up In Heaven (Not Only Here)
9. Charlie Don't Surf

Now it's my third favorite Clash album, after Black Market Clash and Combat Rock. I basically can't stop listening to it. I might even give it an A+, but it seems wrong to do that for what is essentially a personal mixtape. I originally had "Broadway" as song 10, but I made another version and took it off. The song's just not up to snuff. Plus, I had to take off the terrible kid-singing at the end, which made it unreproducible by others. And finally, I thought, you don't pare a triple down to one and leave the slightest piece of fat on it. 40 minutes seems perfect (it was ~45 otherwise).

No comments:

Post a Comment