Friday, November 24, 2017

Paul Kelly - Greatest Hits: Songs From the South Volumes 1 & 2 [placeholder]


# [folk rock] I haven't listened enough to all 40 songs to grade this, in my view, oversized collection. But I have listened adequately to what Christgau identified as the top 15 (see below) and would give those an 8 (A-). I should probably listen to the other 25 some more. Nine tracks, or 60%, of the 15 Christgau identified are on Volume 1 (bolded below), which came out separately first, but I agree with Christgau that the other 11 songs on that 20 track album don't measure up.

"Everything's Turning to White"
"Bradman"
"To Her Door"
"Every F---ing City"
"Sweet Guy"
"From Little Things Big Things Grow"
"How to Make Gravy"
"They Thought I Was Asleep"
"When First I Met Your Ma"
"Deeper Water"
"Dumb Things"
"Song of the Old Rake"
"Be Careful What You Pray For"
"Shane Warne"
"The Oldest Story in the Book"

No comments:

Post a Comment